A beautifully furnished space with a relaxing view is great for your outdoor pleasure, allowing you to spend quality time with guests and family. Although they’re designed to survive to stay pretty strong, intense exposure to rain may cause these furniture pieces to lose quality faster than expected.
That’s why it’s important to put necessary measures in place to shield your outdoor furniture pieces from the impact of rain. This guide will discuss five ways to shield outdoor furniture from rain and other unfavorable weather changes.
What is the Effect of Rain on Outdoor Furniture Material?
Water easily causes the furniture material quality to reduce over time. Again, the materials used for these furniture pieces are built to withstand adverse weather conditions, however, constant exposure may lead to various issues. Rain may have adverse effects on furniture depending on its material type:
Wood furniture pieces are prone to molds and fungi growth if exposed to rain. Also, the wooden materials may tend to rot if the furniture is not well sealed with waterproof furnishings.
When metal furniture is exposed to rainwater over time, it begins to rust. This reduces its lifespan, and affects the structure and functions.
When plastic furniture pieces are constantly exposed to harsh weather conditions like rain, the color begins to fade. Also, the structure of the furniture is affected causing it to break easily.
Fabrics and cushions:
Fabrics used for cushions and furniture can absorb water when exposed to rain. These fabrics get wet and dry slowly, which may lead to mold growth on the furniture surfaces. Rainwater can also cause cushions and furniture fabric covering to get stained and make the color fade away.
Paint & Finish:
Rain may deteriorate paint, varnish, or other protective finishes on all types of furniture, leaving them more prone to additional damage.
Joints and Fasteners:
Water can weaken and loosen joints and fasteners, jeopardizing the stability of the furniture.
Effective Ways to Protect Outdoor Furniture from Rain
Protecting your furniture pieces from rain may sound challenging but with these easy steps, it’s a win for you.
Use Outdoor Covers like Umbrella or Canopy to Create a Shed
Setting up your furniture to fit into your outdoor space may seem easy but maintaining it is the real deal. Covers are one way you can protect your furniture pieces while making your space functional at the same time. Outdoor space covers offer all-year-round protection and are a great addition to your space.
Here are some major advantages of utilizing a cover for your furniture pieces:
- Protection from rain: The primary purpose of the cover is to create a shield to protect the furniture pieces from rainwater. This helps to reduce rusting and prevents mold from growing on the furniture.
- Extend the furniture’s life span: Rainwater can reduce the quality of your furniture thereby shortening the life span. With a cover in place, you can ensure the safety of your furniture and a longer life span.
- Increases your comfort: If your patio is covered, you may relax on your outdoor sectional sofa even when it's raining lightly or just after a shower. Regardless of the weather, it offers a warm and inviting space for rest and socialization.
- Increased value: A well-designed and practical cover may increase the value of your house. If you ever decide to sell your home, it increases the amount of usable living space, making it a desirable feature for prospective purchasers.
- They are useful for any season: Outdoor space covers are multi-seasonal because they are not only useful for rainy days but they offer shade on hot summer days. So, you may use your outdoor furniture in comfort all year long.
- They can perform different functions: Apart from protecting your furniture, they also add beauty to your home. They come in various modern, attractive designs, so you may pick one that matches the outdoor architecture and decor of your house. They can be constructed from materials including wood, metal, polycarbonate, or fabric, each of which offers a nice aesthetic appeal and protection for your furniture. Also, you would always find a cover that will go with every setting and color scheme.
Protect Your Furniture Using Weather-proof Furniture Covers
Weather-proof furniture cover is an excellent accessory as it keeps your furniture from the effect of water and shields it from UV rays and dirt on warm, windy days. They are a practical and effective means to maintain the quality and durability of outdoor furniture. The following are some essential qualities and advantages of waterproof furniture covers:
- They are made of materials that repel water: Water-repellent materials like vinyl, heavy-duty polyester, or specialized fabrics are used to make weatherproof furniture coverings. They make sure that water doesn't touch your furniture's surface.
- They consist of secure fasteners: Most waterproof coverings have a variety of straps, fasteners, or drawstrings that may be adjusted to fit your furniture size. This lessens the chance that the cover may be blown away in a windy situation.
- Minimal maintenance: Weather-proof covers are suitable for maintaining the durability of your outdoor furniture pieces. This helps you reduce the cost of maintenance.
- Diverse sizes: Weatherproof coverings have a wide range of lengths, widths, heights, and angles to accommodate different types of outdoor furniture, including couches, tables, chairs, loungers, and more. Covers that are made to fit perfectly provide the best protection and stop water from leaking in via cracks.
Use Water Repellant Sprays
Water-repellant sprays can be used on fabric cushions and wood furniture pieces. It is a protective coating that helps to shield your furniture from rainwater. When used properly, it creates a barrier that prevents water from being absorbed and causes it to bead up and roll off the surface. Using water-repellent sprays on your outdoor furniture has various advantages which are:
- It offers invisible protection: Water-repellent sprays often offer protection without changing the texture or look of the furniture. When you leave the spray to dry after applying it, they remain invisible on your furniture.
- Comfort and breathability: These sprays also make it impossible for a furniture piece like this wooden stump to absorb rainwater, preserving both your comfort and the durability of the furniture pieces.
- It is simple to use: Most water-repellent sprays are easy to use, and they dry rather rapidly. A spray or aerosol bottle can be used to apply the spray, which makes it simple to apply to your furniture.
- It protects your furniture from stains: Waterproof Sprays can also aid in minimizing the accumulation of dirt and stains on your furniture. This occurs as the spray leaves your furniture clean for a long period by forming a protective anti-dirt barrier.
Use Absorbent Material to Prevent Water Accumulation
Using absorbent materials is also an excellent way to prevent rain from causing damage to your outdoor furniture. These materials help your furniture absorb excess water, reducing the likelihood of damage. These materials include absorbent table covers, cover cushions, and absorbent packets containing silica gel. You can get these materials from a supermarket or a furniture store.
Here are a few tips when making use of absorbent materials to prevent rain from damaging your outdoor furniture pieces:
- Use absorbent towels to cover the surface of your outdoor dining table and to absorb rainwater and liquid spillage while dining. These towels and mats are made of absorbent materials which ensure that water doesn't collect on the surface of the furniture.
- It’s also useful to quickly clean up any spills or water after rain showers, so it’s best to have a supply of dry towels or rags close to the outdoor furniture.
- Use silica gel or other desiccants-filled packages or bags that may absorb moisture. These may be used to absorb extra moisture in the air that may settle on your furniture and can be placed within cushions or close to the furniture.
Elevating and Positioning Outdoor Furniture
Elevating and positioning outdoor furniture involves the technique of situating outdoor furniture at particular elevations or places to maximize its functionality and protection. It works by raising the furniture slightly off the ground using furniture risers, blocks, or bricks is a practical and effective way to protect the furniture from rain and moisture.
Here are some effective methods for elevating outdoor furniture:
- Use furniture risers: The feet of your furniture pieces can be raised off the ground by using platforms or blocks that have been expressly constructed for the purpose. When your furniture has direct contact with the floor, it may suck in water from the floor. This may cause damage to the furniture over time.
- Wooden Pallets: For raising furniture, wooden pallets might be a convenient and affordable solution. Make sure that all of the furniture's legs are supported and stable before placing it on top of the pallets. This will also prevent your furniture from sucking up rainwater from the floor after rainfall.
Outdoor furniture pieces are adorable and beautiful to own but they need to be protected from rainwater. By putting these five strategies into practice, you can keep your outdoor furniture durable while also preserving its visual appeal.